Leopardo recently completed construction of the new $15 million, 63,000-square-foot police headquarters for the Village of Hanover Park, which hosted a public grand opening ceremony on Feb. 18.
The state-of-the-art facility features:
· Detention facilities, including enclosed, secure two-bay sallyport, flexible detention block, detox holding room, interview rooms and juvenile detention facilities;
· Evidence processing, including separate vehicle exam area and large property storage area with high density storage;
· Fire arms range with high-level acoustical treatment and armory;
· Emergency operations center / training room with full emergency building support systems;
· Community room;
· Staff areas for code enforcement, records with high density storage, investigations and command staff;
· Enclosed, secure garage for police vehicles;
· Water detention for site and adjacent public works site;
· Dozens of green features, including reflective roof materials, regional material usage, recycled content in interior finishes, daylight sensors, high-efficiency systems and water conservation through landscaping
A distinguishing characteristic of this project is its unique safety record. Leopardo took the initiative to partner with OSHA, allowing open-access to the government agency in order to achieve the absolute highest levels of construction safety. More than 400 site-specific safety orientations were conducted, 149 safety inspections and 10,000 safety observations performed. As a result, after more than 100,000 total work hours, the project’s incident rate was almost 30 percent below the national average.
Leopardo served as construction manager with Dewberry as architect. In addition to the Hanover Park Police Headquarters, Leopardo recently built the Aurora Police Headquarters (195,000 square feet), Clarendon Hills Police Headquarters (14,400 square feet), Beaufort Police, Courts and City Hall Complex (63,000 square feet), Romeoville Fire Station No. 3 (13,500 square feet), and the Mount Prospect Fire Station No. 14 (24,000 square feet).