The Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission in early November approved the proposed exterior building changes to the 130 E. Washington tower in the Monument Circle Historical District, a designated historic district in downtown Indianapolis.
Onward Investors, a national commercial real estate investment and development firm, acquired the 130 E. Washington tower in September. The Commission reviews applications to ensure that proposals preserve or enhance the special character of a building or site. A Certificate of Appropriateness (CoA) permit is required to allow construction, demolition or alteration of any property that is designated as a landmark site or is located in a designated historic district.
The historic building was originally designed in 1922 for Meyer Kiser Bank by the architectural firm Vonnegut and Bohn and was later enlarged to become home for years to one of the city’s largest and most prominent tenants, the Farm Bureau Insurance Company.
Onward Investors will work with Ratio Architects to restore more of the building’s historic elegance and mid-century modern design, while at the same time providing creative office space that will foster collaboration and appeal to talent in technology, advertising, media and other creative market sectors.
“With the Commission’s blessing, we now look forward to begin to redesign the existing façade, enhance the building’s street presence on Washington, and restore the windows on the west half of the building to their historic proportions,” said Jim Fritcher, managing director of design and construction for Onward Investors. Retail and restaurant space will also be established along Washington.