Generations Housing Initiatives (GHI), a nonprofit entity of The Habitat Company, has won an $80,000 grant from The Jewish Federations of North America’s (JFNA) Center for Holocaust Survivor Care and Institute on Aging and Trauma. This award will enable GHI to provide new programming for older adults with a history of trauma over the next year at Long Grove House, a 448-unit affordable multifamily community at 2001 S. Michigan Ave. in Chicago’s South Loop neighborhood.
Founded in 2016, GHI is dedicated to providing a variety of vital social service programs to low-income seniors living in affordable housing communities managed by The Habitat Company, a full-service residential real estate company specializing in property management, acquisitions and development.
The grant will allow GHI to provide one-on-one case management, health and wellness activities to 150 Long Grove House residents with a history of trauma. In addition, the on-site property management team will receive training on Person-Centered, Trauma-Informed (PCTI) care, which is a unique approach to providing services to a person who has experienced complex trauma by working through their strengths and respecting their voice and choice.
This is GHI’s second year receiving a grant from JFNA to help individuals suffering from trauma. Last year, GHI was awarded funds to support the almost 200 Holocaust survivors residing at two Chicago communities – Kenmore Plaza and The Pines of Edgewater.
PCTI care is an innovative approach, spearheaded by JFNA, that promotes trust, dignity, strength and empowerment of all individuals by incorporating knowledge about trauma into agency programs, policies and procedures. Some estimates suggest that up to 90% of older adults in the United States have experienced a traumatic event during their lifetimes, which can affect them as they age. The challenges have become even more acute with social distancing and the threats posed by COVID-19.
This program is made possible by federal funds from a grant through The JFNA Center on Aging and Trauma, a project of the Holocaust Survivor Initiative. Approximately 75% of the total, or $60,000, comes from federal sources. The remaining 25%, or $20,000, comes from a match by Long Grove House.
This program is one of many extra services GHI has offered its older residents since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. Through GHI’s efforts, more than 550 residents at three affordable senior housing properties Habitat manages were able to receive their first two doses of the vaccine in the comfort of their own building.